uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject namespaces in projects using XMLBeans
Date Sat, 15 May 2010 13:47:50 GMT
We have several projects in the sandbox (ConfigurableFeatureExtractor,
DictionaryAnnotator, RegularExpressionAnnotator, SimpleServer) that use
XMLBeans.  Each of these specifies a small XML "language" for users to
write in.  Part of this specification is a namespace for the language
elements.

Because of the way XML Beans works, the namespace chosen turns into a
package name by some common sense rules.  Details are described by
section C of the Java API for XML Binding (JAXB) specification.

The namespaces chosen for these and the corresponding derived package
names are:

ConfigurableFeatureExtractor:
    http://www.apache.org/uima/tools/cfe/config/XMLBeans
        org.apache.uima.tools.cfe.config.xmlBeans

SimpleServer:
    http://uima.apache.org/simpleserver/config/xml
        org.apache.uima.simpleserver.config.xml

RegularExpressionAnnotator:
    http://incubator.apache.org/uima/regex
        org.apache.incubator.uima.regex

DictionaryAnnotator
    http://incubator.apache.org/uima
        org.apache.incubator.uima

-------------
User code has been written that now depends on these namespaces, so
changing them require users to update their code (breaking backward
compatibility).

All of these start with org.apache.uima or org.apache.incubator.uima.
Some of them further qualify by a name corresponding to the project
within UIMA, but one doesn't (the DictionaryAnnotator).

If it weren't for backward compatibility, I would want to
1) remove "incubator"
2) change DictionaryAnnotator to include DictionaryAnnotator

But I'm thinking that we should not change these, because having old
user-written usages of these continue to work is more important than
cleaning this up.

Other opinions?

-Marshall