uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: alternate packaging for uima-as
Date Sun, 16 May 2010 16:09:44 GMT

On 5/16/2010 7:20 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> The 2.3.0-incubating binary release of uima-as is packaged an "add-on"
>> and you need to download base uima binary release, and unzip the uima-as
>> over that base release.  This does things like combine example files and
>> directories, libs, etc.
>>
>> We did this because of concerns about the size of the UIMA-AS package.
>>
>> I think it is not a friendly way to package this, and because we intend
>> (at least for now) to have the uima-as add-on version track the base
>> version, I'd like to reconsider this.  My preference is to have the
>> uima-as binary distribution include the base UIMA distribution.
>>
> It would be nice to have a runtime distribution which only
> ships the minimal artifacts necessary to run a uima as
> service. That could of course also be just a folder in a
> complete uima as distribution to separate these artifacts
> from the others like documentation, eclipse plugins, etc.

+1.  Some possibilities:
* We could do a special folder in the main binary distr.
* We could add some special Jars:  e.g. uima-as-service-runtime-one-jar.jar
**  We could make these special Jars available in the Maven repository
system, so they could be "depended" on

I'm willing to work on the POM packaging for this, if someone else can
identify what Jars need to be included for this.

We could also have something like this for UIMA-base - maybe two: one
with and one without the CPM.

-Marshall