uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Accessing DAO's and other objects from an Annotator.
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:03:21 GMT
 Annotators are designed to be re-usable, re-deployable components.  By this, we
mean, that a future user of the component might want to "scale it out" as a
service running in separate JVMs, etc.  The UIMA framework's component
"isolation" is designed to enable this kind of separation of concerns.

Having said that, there is a way to gain access to sharable, arbitrary Java
things in an annotator - by using "resources".  These are essentially any Java
class you write; they are instantiated by the framework and can be made
available to multiple annotators, but only within the same running JVM (so using
it may reduce your component's reusability in future scenarios).

One note: although the resources APIs are written with a common use-case - that
of having initialization "load" an external resource - you don't need to do that
if it isn't part of the use-case you're addressing.

-Marshall