uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Götz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: reducing the number of "releases" of build tooling
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 15:45:28 GMT
On 10/22/2010 17:02, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Let's do some debugging...
>

> On 10/22/2010 9:44 AM, Thilo Götz wrote:
>> I got the "build" projects from svn.  There are no build
>> instructions in there, so I cd'ed to each subdir and did
>> a mvn install.  Some of those dirs contain various poms,
>> and I'm obviously not supposed to mvn install them, as
>> maven informs me.  Anyway.  Success otherwise.
>
> This step (above) should be unnecessary, but it's ok to do.
>

>> On to uimaj-core/aggregate-uimaj.  Doing a mvn install there
>> gives me:
>> [ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
>> org.apache.uima:parent-pom-top:pom:7
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Nothing that I can see at the moment.
> Here's some guesses:
>
> 1) Maybe you didn't build the parent-pom-top project in build?

Apparently I didn't.  Do I have to maven install every
single on of those poms?  Do you know on how many different machines
I build at varying times (about 4-5 atm)?

On the bright side, this is the first time in about half a year
that I've been able to build without having to manipulate some
xml first.  Even the sandbox built without a hitch.

So what are we going to do about installing those poms?  Nothing
an Ant or even shell script couldn't handle, but can maven do this
more elegantly?  If not, I volunteer to write a script, if you
will make sure it stays up to date with your maven adventures.

> 2) Maybe your Maven .m2/settings.xml file isn't set up to refer to the Apache
> maven snapshot repository?

It most certainly isn't.  I absolutely draw the line at fiddling
with maven settings files before I build.  Particularly given
that I like to nuke my maven repo every now and then.

I don't do any of the other maven setup described on our website
either, btw, I've never found it necessary.

--Thilo