uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: reducing the number of "releases" of build tooling
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:16:07 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> The advantage, I think, of this approach is that the UIMA distribution without
> the build tooling is buildable from source using just the one mvn install; Maven
> obtains the build tooling needed from maven central, via Maven's remote artifact
> fetching mechanism, just like it would obtain the common Apache POM.

OK, I see what you're after. The best way to handle this would
probably to treat such cases as two parallel releases (one for the
build tools, one for the dependant codebase) that are covered by a
single vote ([VOTE] Release UIMA-SDK vX and build tools vY).

More generally though, there are 14 POMs in uima/build/trunk,
including *8* parent poms. Are these all really necessary? I don't
know the details of the UIMA build that well, but this seems pretty
excessive compared to other Maven projects I've worked with.

> I do see one small issue: Our current source README refers to the UIMA website
> for instructions on how to build, using maven.  But over time, change will
> happen :-) - so the source bundle ought to be more self-contained, and have
> those instructions (on how to build) directly in the README, instead of via a
> reference to the website.  They are quite tiny, something like:
>
> a) download/install Maven 3
> b) unzip the source distribution
> c) cd to a directory (depending on what it is you want to build) and do mvn install

Right, it would be great to have a README.txt with this information at
the top of all trunks. For example, the build instructions for Apache
Tika are [1]:

    Tika is based on Java 5 and uses the Maven 2 <http://maven.apache.org/>
    build system. To build Tika, use the following command in this directory:

        mvn clean install

Ideally the UIMA build instructions should be just as simple.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/trunk/README.txt

BR,

Jukka Zitting