uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: UIMA v3 at GitHub
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2019 14:01:37 GMT
On 3. Jul 2019, at 14:34, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> hmmm, interesting. I wonder if we should use this as the tipping point to
> convert over to github @ apache as the "main" source repo, like what uimaFIT has
> done?

+1

> Also, I wonder what might break and/or need adjusting if we do this.  Anyone
> have a "list" of things to consider / do / think about, when doing these changes?

Puh... from the top of my head:

- arrange the SVN in the desired branch structure so it gets synced to the GH
  mirror in the desired form
- tell INFRA to make the GH repo writable and to protect the SCM
- tell INFRA how to configure the GH repo, in particular
  - trigger Jenkins builds
  - protect key branches against force pushes
- add some configuration files to the repo, to allow GitHub to bring up
  contribution guidelines and to have PR template(s), also .gitignore files
- update Jenkins builds
- update any documentation which refers to using the SVN
- update the SCM info in the POMs so the releases get properly tagged

Since we have Linux/OS X and Windows contributors, extra configuration might
be necessary to get a sane handling of line endings. Eventually, adding
checkstyle to our builds would be a good thing here as well, but that is
a different story.

IMHO the main friction will be in the heads of those who haven't
used git too much yet. In particular, I think that working extensively
with branches will seem unnecessary and annoying at first and one will
feel like having to jump through extra hoops that we not there before.
It might take a moment for this feeling to pass.

Cheers,

-- Richard