uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] uimaj 3.0.3 rc2
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2019 10:09:09 GMT
dist artifact signature check: ok
README spot check: ok
RELEASE_NOTES spot check: ok
API report spot check: ok
Built from sources: ok

Building DKPro Core against the RC, I get a compiler error:

With v3.0.2, JCasGen generated this code:

```
public FSArray getAttributes() { return (FSArray)(_getFeatureValueNc(wrapGetIntCatchException(_FH_attributes)));}
```

and DKPro Core could/had to then cast the unspecific FSArray to Iterable<FeatureStructure>:

```
  for (FeatureStructure attrFS : (Iterable<FeatureStructure>) aElement.getAttributes())
{
  }
```

But with v3.0.3, JCasGen was changed to return specific types where possible instead of an
unspecified generic:

```
  public FSArray<XmlAttribute> getAttributes() {
    return (FSArray<XmlAttribute>)(_getFeatureValueNc(wrapGetIntCatchException(_FH_attributes)));
  }
```

This now causes the previously working type cast in DKPro Core to become a compiler error:

```
  [ERROR] /Users/bluefire/git/dkpro-core/dkpro-core-api-xml-asl/src/main/java/org/dkpro/core/api/xml/Cas2SaxEvents.java:[67,95]
incompatible types: org.apache.uima.jcas.cas.FSArray<org.dkpro.core.api.xml.type.XmlAttribute>
cannot be converted to java.lang.Iterable<org.apache.uima.cas.FeatureStructure>
```

I'd tend to say that the change to JCasGen is not a source-compatible change and would warrant
changing the version number to 3.1.0.

WDYT?

Cheers,

-- Richard