From Vincent Hardy <vha...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Versions, and timelines.
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:56:59 GMT
Gerard,

"Gerard.Davison" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking at making use of the Batik SVG to provide suitable export
> facilities in a up-coming  tool. In order to for me to be able to integrate the
> Batik library into the product I am working on I need to pick a specific version
> number in order that I can get the go-ahead from our legal department. I would
> prefer not to go through this process multiple times.
>
> I have looked at the current website, but I am unable to work out the version
> numbers used. For example the product seems to be up to version RC8 which would
> suggest to me a product that is very near production. Is this the case?

Yes it is. We are working towards a 1.0 release, we think within a
couple
weeks, that will have all the static SVG features plus full linking and
some scripting. Some of the most advanced text features may not be in.

> Or could I happily get working with RC8 as I only need the static generation
> features: the SVG Graphics2D driver in particular.

Yes, you can work with the RC builds until the 1.0 release
 becomes available.

> Is there any known issues with Alpha blending for example? I have had terrible
> trouble with printing as JDK 1.3 doesn't seem to support printing alpha blended
> graphics on any platform. (We have tested Win32, Linux, Solaris)

Did you get printing problem with rc8? Did you try the print
command from the SVG Browser or did you try the PrintTranscoder
(actually, they are both the same) and get that problem? Thanks for
letting us know.

> Well thanks in advance for any information, I have joined the list now so you
> can reply to either. Appologise if I am asking for information already
> avaliable.... the web site was acting kinda funny today. (Broken links,
> corrupted tooltips)

Thanks for telling us which links are broken. I am not sure what you
mean by
corrupted tooltips. The ones on the main menu seem to work ok. The
web site contains information about the beta1 release and is not in
sync with the rcN releases. Thanks for letting us know what specifically
is broken, it will help us a lot!

Cheers.
V.