From "Andreas Bielk" <andreas.bi...@codesense.com>
Subject RE: Transcoding pipeline and performance
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:03:00 GMT

I was using the rc6 source, with rc8 it looks like this:

StaticRenderer.repaint(Shape) ~ 63%
JPEGTranscoder.writeImage(BufferedImage, TranscoderOutput) ~ 15%
GVTBuilder.build(BridgeContext, Document) ~ 9%

The average time for transcode() is about the same as with rc6.

>     I don't know what you are modifying in the templates, but you
> might consider deconstructing the template into layers of static
> elements and the dynamic elements.  The image returned by
> StaticRenderer is usually an image with alpha (if it isn't then there
> isn't any alpha to consider) so you can composit the images returned
> by getOffScreen in a final buffered image for writing to JPEG.
>
>     This way you could render the static parts of the output once at
> startup.  Then render and composite for each new request.  Eventually
> the dynamic module will do some of this for you, but for now you could
> do this yourself.

I think the static part is too small compared to the dynamic, that
I wouldn´t gain anything. This may change in the future however.

If I can´t get the performance I need, I´ll probably use Batik to render
the static SVG, and write my own (native code) renderer for the small
subset of SVG I use in the dynamic part (mostly long paths and some text),
and composite these images as you suggested.

I´ll do some more testing when I get the target machines in a couple of
weeks.

Thanks for your help!

/Andreas Bielk

                  C o d e S e n s e  A B
       Marinens väg 30, SE-136 40 Haninge, Sweden
Office: +46 (0)8 - 707 32 30  GSM: +46 (0)70 - 532 92 01
                 http://www.codesense.com