From "Andreas Bielk" <andreas.bi...@codesense.com>
Subject Transcoding pipeline and performance
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:36:25 GMT
Hi!

The application I´m currently developing uses a SVG document
with som additional information (in a different namespace) as
templates. These templates are parsed, and more SVG is added and
finally the SVG document is rasterized.

However the using the following results in terrible performace:

1. Parse template to SVGOMDocument
2. Modifying the SVG DOM (adding/removing elements)
3. Running transcoder with SVGDocument as TranscoderInput

I need better performance for [2] and [3] ([1] is done at startup).

So I started to browse the Batik codebase to try and understand the
transcoding pipeline. I would like to do as much of the transcoding
as possible up-front, and add my elements at a lower level.

As far as I can understand, this means manipulating the GVT Tree.

What´s the best (or right) way to do this?
Modifying the DOM and running some magic in the bridge?
Modifying the GVT? Both DOM and GVT?

Any other performace hints for Batik is appriciated!

Regards, Andreas Bielk

PS. A document describing the basic concepts and design of Batik
would be nice, especially for attracting new developers!

                  C o d e S e n s e  A B
       Marinens väg 30, SE-136 40 Haninge, Sweden
Office: +46 (0)8 - 707 32 30  GSM: +46 (0)70 - 532 92 01
                 http://www.codesense.com