From Sean Langford <langf...@ele.uri.edu>
Subject slowness
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:44:51 GMT
Hello!

I am using batik in a research project to render a high level diagram
representing the state of an experimental processor on a (execution)
cycle by cycle basis.  Using SVG gives me the flexibility to draw custom
views of the processor, being able to visualize complex interactions in
an ad-hoc kind of way.  Batik is very well suited for this task; I can
draw a new 'view' of the processor using a SVG compliant drawing program
(Adobe Illustrator), and then import it into the 'visualizer', which is
the java application I've written which marries the SVG template view
with real data coming from the processor to create the 'real' SVG view.
 The biggest problem I'm having is that the rendering is very very slow.
 It takes about 5-6 seconds to render the resultant SVG (attached).
The SVG is very very simple.  No gradients, no effects.  A small number
of path elements and several text elements.  Since the nature of this
application is to render state for each machine cycle as the user
navigates through execution history, this 5 second render time is
painful.  Is there anything I can do to speed the rendering?

Thanks in advance!

Sean Langford
High Performance Computing Lab
University of Rhode Island