From "J. David Eisenberg" <catc...@catcode.com>
Subject Re: Questions from an inexperienced user. Please help.
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:43:48 GMT
On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Carter, Will wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First let me say that I am not a java programmer nor very knowledgable on
> how web servers work. I am a web designer and cold fusion programmer and can
> realize the usefulness of batik, svg, and FOP.
>
> Here is what I have been successful at doing...
>
> I built a dynamic svg based bar graph that pulls its data from a database
> and displays it in a browser.
> Realizing that svg is not always viewable in the browser unless you have the
> plugin, I needed to figure out a way to convert the svg to jpeg to display
> on the web on the fly.  I can do this using batik by directly executing
> java.exe on the web server like this from my cold fusion page.

[snip]

> by reading through these archives, I realize that this command line
> execution of batik is probably the wrong way to do it. I believe the correct
> way would be to put the transcoder java into a servlet somehow and then the
> server runs the servlet.  Is this correct?

Yes, it might be more efficient in the long run. An example of this
approach is in Chapter 13 of the book "SVG Essentials."

> okay here are other questions...
> My server is windows 2000 server.  Is it possible for this kind of server to
> run a Java Servlet or am I out of luck?

The Jakarta Tomcat servlet container (http://jakarta.apache.org) can be
used as a service on Windows 2000 with IIS. See:

  http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lampante/howto/tomcat/iisnt/index.html

[snip question about multithreading; I'm not sure, but I think Jakarta
multithreads very nicely.]

--
J. David Eisenberg  http://catcode.com/