From Dean Jackson <d...@w3.org>
Subject Re: Spec question RE: (was dominant-baseline question)
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 12:52:03 GMT
Hi Michael,

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Michael Bierman wrote:

> I posted this a while ago and got little response.  I also posted it to
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/>  but it has never even
> showed up there. (The archive seems to be functional, anyone else having
> trouble posting?)

Now I'm feeling bad. I've seen both of Michael's previous
post's on this topic and have only got around to responding
now. Sorry Michael.

Regarding the messages not appearing on www-svg: I'm not sure
what is happening there. To be honest I've given up moderating
that list. People get an automatic response when their email
doesn't make it, and while that isn't as good as me checking every
failed post by hand it saves me a lot of time. I just checked and
your messages were not there (I'll note that of the failed messages,
more than 99.5% are spam and the rest are subscribe messages).

Now onto the question.

> At any rate, is anyone on the working group aware of the apparent flaw
> in the DTD?

Yes.

> The 1.0 DTD reads:
>
> dominant-baseline (auto | autosense-script | no-change | reset |
> ideographic | lower | hanging | mathematical | inherit ) #IMPLIED
>
> The 1.0 spec reads:
> Value: auto | use-script | no-change | reset-size | alphabetic | hanging
> | ideographic | mathematical | central | middle | text-after-edge |
> text-before-edge | text-top | textbottom | inherit

Of the above two, the DTD is more correct, but both are now
out of date.

> The 1.1 DTD reads:
> dominant-baseline (auto | autosense-script | no-change | reset |
> ideographic | lower | hanging | mathematical | inherit ) #IMPLIED
>
> 1.1 spec reads:
>
> Value: auto | use-script | no-change | reset-size | ideographic |
> alphabetic | hanging | |mathematical | central | middle |
> text-after-edge | text-before-edge | inherit
>

> My questions are:
>
> 1. I take it that "text-top" and "textbottom"  were removed from 1.1 ?

Yes. I can't remember the reasoning, but this property is
actually inherited from XSL, so we just followed what they
had done.

> 2. Why do the DTDs read "autosense-script" but the specs read,
> "use-script" (both 1.0 and 1.1)?  Is this an error or is there a reason
> for this?  If one is right and one is wrong, which is right?

I think one of them is wrong. I can't say for certain which one,
but I'll check this out very soon. Again, the XSL definition will
be the authoratative one.

> 3. The order has changed of some of the attributes.  Is there any
> meaning to this, or was it some purely aesthetic change?

There is no reason to the change of order.

> 4. "alphabetic" is mentioned in both 1.0 and 1.1 specs, but not the
> DTDs.

Hmmm... I'll check that as well.

Dean