From "Fayyad, Elias" <efay...@netmap-us.com>
Subject problem printing images embedded in SVG file
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 15:57:29 GMT
Greetings,

I am relatively new to Batik, but the results that I've experienced in the
short amount of time I've used it have been fantastic!  I started out with
Batik 1.1.1, using JDK 1.3.  When 1.5beta1 came out, I got that.  Everything
was working great!  Then I switched to JDK 1.4 and then I had a printing
problem...  Let me set up the scenario.

I have a JFrame with a Graphics2D object on it, containing rendered images,
lines, and text.  I use the Batik rasterizer to create an SVG out of the
Graphics2D object.  The SVG file renders fabulously on the JSVGCanvas (both
in my app as well as the svgbrowser app included in the Batik distribution).
When I print (out of my app as well as from the svgbrowser), I get all my
lines and text, but no images at all...  FYI, I've used the
CachedImageHandlerBase64Encoder class to encode my images into the SVG file.
And as I've stated earlier, the file renders with no problems, using various
SVG viewers.  The problem occurs when printing.

So here's what I tested:
1. Batik 1.5 beta1
    svgbrowser,
    jdk 1.4, result: prints no images (only lines and text)
    jdk 1.3, result: prints everything ok.
2. Batik 1.1.1
    svgbrowser,
    jdk 1.4, result: prints no images (only lines and text)
    jdk 1.3, result: prints everything ok.
3. Batik 1.0
    svgbrowser,
    jdk 1.4, result: PRINTS EVERYTHING OK!!!
    jdk 1.3, result: prints everything ok.

Any ideas?  I managed to get around the problem (in a really dirty way, for
the time being) by using the 1.5 svg generator with the 1.0 libs
(particularly the transcoders).  But that's not something I really want to
use...  Is this a problem with the JDK 1.4, Batik, or a combination of both?

Thanks in advance for any insights...
Elias.