From Chris Lilley <ch...@w3.org>
Subject Bizarre rendering of Arabic (Batik 1.5b4b, Java 1.4.0
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:21:59 GMT
Hello batik-users,

  I am confused by the rendering of Arabic scripts in batik. On the
  one hand, Arabic language text is rendered incorrectly (all isolate
  glyphs used). On the other hand, Urdu (which also uses the Arabic
  script) is rendered with contextual forms, ('joined up'
  appearance) (but rendered left-to-right, unfortunately).

  I attach a test file that demonstrates this, plus a rendering from
  Batik and a rendering from notepad ;-)

  Why is contextual shaping ocurring in one case but not in the other?

  If someone can produce a rendering of this in batik 1.5b4b running
  on Java 1.3.x I would appreciate it.

--
 Chris                          mailto:chris@w3.org