From "Trent Austin" <trent_aus...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: SVG->PDF transcoder issues
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:29:26 GMT
Thomas:

I haven't tried Squiggle, but the files render with proper styling in ASV
3.0.  I'm also not using any @media rules.

On the scaling issue, closer examination leads me to believe the problem
isn't that the text is not scaling properly, but rather that all the text is
simply rendered at the same, default size, which makes text that should be
smaller appear improperly scaled.  This makes sense, given that the
font-size is also in the stylesheet, which is being largely or completely
ignored.

thanks,
Trent

----Original Message Follows----
From: Thomas E Deweese <thomas.deweese@kodak.com>
To: Batik Users <batik-users@xml.apache.org>
Subject: RE: SVG->PDF transcoder issues
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 07:48:48 -0500

     Hmm, I suspect something is wrong in your content as I use
stylesheets all the time and they work fine.  Have you tried viewing
the SVG in Batik-Squiggle - the SVG viewier?  Does it look right
there?

Do you do anything with @Media?

     I suspect that if you always get 'outline' text (meaning I suppose
stroked chars rather than filled) your problem above with CSS is the
root issue.

TA> 2) they are scaling up larger than they should;

     First off I guess I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I've never
seen it 'scale' the text.  It often looks 'bigger' because (by
default) Acrobat dosn't use AA for line art (although you can turn
this on which makes the PDF appearence _much_ closer to the original
SVG).

I believe that for _very_ simple SVG text it will generate PDF text.
However as soon as you start using any real features from SVG Text
(like tspan) it drops back to outlines.  It may also have some
problems with font styles (bold vs Regular ...).  Also your first
question makes me think you are somehown messing up the CSS and
telling it to stroke the text, which would _have_ to go to paths
rather than PDF text.