From "Stephen" <stephen.tur...@ilc.com>
Subject RE: applet security rhino interpreter
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:03:38 GMT
Sorry for the delay but yes I do in fact need script support. I wrote an
applet/server implementation where the server tells the applet svg
viewer through socket interface what values to change and so forth by
sending scripting commands. It actually works really well. I've been
able to setup the policy to get around it for now but it still bugs me.
I'll have to look a little closer at the RhinoClassLoader to find ways
to get around this.

Thanks,
Stephen.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas E Deweese [mailto:thomas.deweese@kodak.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 12:55 PM
To: Batik Users
Subject: RE: applet security rhino interpreter

S> I'm having security problems with the applet (act surprised AGAIN!)
S> allowing the RhinoInterpreter to create a class loader. Do I have
S> to use the rhinoClassLoader that is created in the constructor of
S> RhinoInterpreter? Can I use the applet class loader instead? I
S> really dread having to require everyone who runs the applet to
S> update their security policy for it to run.

   Do you need script support?  If you not might be able to leave the
rhino package out of your Applet.  If you need JavaScript support then
things get tricky.  See one of the cool things about Rhino is that it
compiles your JavaScript in ByteCode then loads it and runs it - I
don't think this can be done with the Applet Class Loader.

   A week or two ago there was a thread on just this, someone
mentioned that they were able to hack Rhino by simply removing the
optimization classes - perhaps the two of you can sort this out and
post results?

http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-users/archives/msg03506.html

S> BTW: I used Crimson instead of xerces for the applet and it worked
S> just fine.

   Glad to hear it.