From Reinhard Brandst├Ądter <r.brandstaed...@gmx.at>
Subject Batik and SVG for displaying multiple graphical Objects...
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:35:50 GMT
Hi!

I'm currently working on my thesis and looking for a way to render many
different arbitrary grapical Objects to a screen.
I'm not too deep into SVG and Batik (just spent the day reading through
documents and tutorials) but I think there are some interesting aspects
I can't ignore.
Maybe you can help me with my decision. Here the facts what I want to do
and what I need:

1.) easy to read but powerful description of graphical objects
   that's why I thought of SVG, my framework also uses XML for
configuration (quite a lot to be honest) and the graphical objects are
part of this configuration. This is a main point: easy but yet powerful
specification of graphical objects.

2.) ability to modify these graphical objects during runtime.
   What I'm especially interested in is adding text information when
reading the SVG definition from a file and then change (maybe
predefined) or add text.

3.) the ability to display many different graphical objects on one
display (Canvas, Window,..)
   Imagine a sequential stream of such graphical objects and a process
just decided where to place and "draw" this object, how long it should
be shown, etc.

4.) since I'll generate lot's of (small) objects to display, this should
be reasonably fast...

As for Point 3.) rendering SVGs to a display I read about SVGCanvas but
as far as I understood this Canvas is exactly for one Object. I would
need much more than one. Some objects might "appear", be displayed for
some time and dissapear again. I thought of combining/merging and
tearing SVGs apart again but this seems to be the most ugly and slowest way.
The easiest way to describe what I want might be:
read SVGs from file, modify them during runtime (add/cahnge text),
decide where on the screen and for how long to display them, and then
delete them again. (basically generate a animation with interacting
graphical objects on one display)

What do you think? Is this a possible way to go? Is this concept too
slow or too complicated?

Just for interest: is there a way to convert a SVG DOM structure into a
Java Swing Component?

Thanks for your opinions and hints!

Reinhard

--
Reinhard Brandstaedter   r.brandstaedter@gmx.at  GPG: 0x033B81DB
-    Student of Computer Science - J.K. University of Linz     -