From "D. DeCoudras" <ddecoud...@hotmail.com>
Subject Illustrator 10.x options -- beneficial? harmful? indifferent?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:40:52 GMT
I have been using Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.2.x for creating
SVG documents, and checking these documents out with Squiggle (Squiggle has
been quite helpful in picking up some Illustrator XML unparsing problems
when saving as SVG). I'm curious if anyone here uses Illustrator 10.x on a
regular basis for SVG editing and layout? I noticed that when I opt to save
an SVG document with the Adobe save option, "Preserve Illustrator Editing
Capabilities", what happens is that a bunch of unknown Illustrator "stuff"
is encoded and saved as CDATA associated with a <foreignObject> element.
This makes the SVG document considerably heavy compared to its counterpart
of such an option is not used for saving.

Also, I noticed that there is an Advanced saving option "Optimize for Adobe
SVG Viewer" and I'm curious what the opinions are here on this list with
respect to truly how beneficial (or not) this option is for one who wants to
render their SVG with the Adobe viewer plug-in? Understandably this might be
a bit off topic (as I'm not really comparing Squiggle wtih the Adobe Plug-In
in this context), but in general I'm curious what the opinions are of the
list members regarding Illustrator 10.x as a tool for saving document as SVG
(which of course should be completely interoperable with Batik).

Best regards,

-DeCoudras