From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Drawing vertices and edges - handwriting?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:49:13 GMT
otisg wrote:

> I am wondering if Batik is the right tool to use for the
> following:
>
> I have a set of (x,y) coordinates and need to render an image
> that follows these (x,y) pairs. These are (x,y) coordinates that
> describe the movement of a pencil, so the end result is
> basically an image that depicts a hand-written text.
>
> In other words, I just need the ability to draw points
> (vertices) and draw lines between them (edges).
>
> Can I use Batik for this?

   Yes, you can.

> If so, could anyone please tell me what some of the relevant
> classes are and/or point me in a direction an example that I
> could use to get started?

    Well you can use the standard SVG DOM to do this.
Either have one SVG path element (update the 'd' attribute)
or add a new line element for each.

    You might just use the standard Java2D API's.  It's
not that hard to create the GeneralPath yourself.  The
only slightly tricky bit is the display.  I don't know how
demanding your display requirements are.  If you only need
to put this up you may not want to deal with Batik but
if you want to serialize, do fancy stuff with display
(zoom/pan) etc then Batik might become an asset.