From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Batik's Font-Rendering Engine
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:05:43 GMT
Ralf Siegel wrote:

> as far as I'm concerned, Batik uses it's own font-rendering system, right?

   Well not really.  We have two main text rendering paths.  The
first uses the AWT GlyphVector classes to render text (this is for
most normal text),  the second essentially renders text as shapes
(this is primarily used for SVG Fonts which lack font hinting of any
kind anyways).

> Would it be possible to plugin 3rd party rendering engines, like Adobe
> CoolType, Bitstream's Font Fusion, Agfa's iType et al?

    This is software, anything is "possible", but in this case I think
it would be extremely challenging.  First it would involve a lot of
JNI (Java Native Interface) since those all sound like traditional 'C'
libraries.  Second you would have to significantly rework the current
gvt.font package to be more dynamic in choosing implementations.

    It would also be a big change switching to drawing 'bitmaps'
instead of 'shapes'.  I also suspect that there might be some
issues around resolution dependent layout (right now we essentially
don't account for the fact that the bounds of rendered text may
change when the user to device transform changes).

    It would be interesting work as currently Batik's font rendering
is not nearly as good as I would like to see, but this would not be
a very 'clean' solution - since it would involve native code.

> Has somebody done this already?

    Not to my knowledge.  I'm a little surprised you didn't mention
FreeType, as at least that is Open Source.