From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Batik's Font-Rendering Engine
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:28:34 GMT
Hi Ralf,

Ralf Siegel wrote:

> Could you please elaborate on the last point? You opened Pandora's Box ;o)

   Good font rendering engines push the glyph geometry around so that
the vertical and horizontal stems are centered on pixels.  So as the
mapping between the floating point coordinate system to physical
pixels changes the exact size and placement of the text also shifts.
If you smoothly scale text in ASVG you will notice that it 'jitters'
because of this effect.

   Currently, we don't really take any of that into account.

>>   It would be interesting work as currently Batik's font rendering
>> is not nearly as good as I would like to see, but this would not be
>> a very 'clean' solution - since it would involve native code.
>
> Basically, what I'm trying to accomplish is to get the same
> font-rendering results with ASV, Photoshop, AI et al (all use CoolType)
> and Batik. So, concurrently I was looking for hints in order to swap
> Adobe's CoolType against other font-rendering systems. However, CoolType
> doesn't seem to have a published and documented interface.

    This in particular doesn't sound that practical, unfortunately.
I was a bit surprised to see CoolType listed as I didn't think
Adobe published an interface to that.

>>   Not to my knowledge.  I'm a little surprised you didn't mention
>> FreeType, as at least that is Open Source.
>
> Nice. I'm pretty new to the font-rendering society :o)

    Text is an amazingly complex area, we work with it so much, and
it is so important a lot of complex behaviors are just assumed.