From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Possible problem with SVGGraphics2D drawImage
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:50:23 GMT
Hi Carsten,

Carsten Birn wrote:

> I have discovered a problem when trying to store a GIF image using the
> SVGGraphics2D context. I am calling the drawImage(BufferedImage, posX,
> posY, ImageObserver) method.

    I think you are actually calling:
	 drawImage(Image, posX, posY, ImageObserver)

    This is an important distinction because an 'Image' loads
asynchronously so it may not be complete when you draw it.  When
you draw to a AWT Component it will refresh it's self as the image
updates (like a web browser) - This is what the ImageObserver nonsense
is about.  But when drawing to something like a BufferedImage (or in
this case the SVGGraphics2D) it's your responsibility to ensure that
the image is fully loaded - otherwise it renders what it has at the
moment.

    You could look at using the MediaTracker Interface.  Or there
is a little bit simpler interface in:
	batik.ext.awt.image.spi.JDKRegistryEntry.MyImgObs.

    I am only 90% certain this is the cause of the problem so I
would be interested to know if ensuring the image was fully
loaded does in fact solve the problem.

    Perhaps a quicker way to check would be to add a sleep to
your code for a few sec - which should give it plenty of time
to load the image.  The correct solution is to use some form
of ImageObserver (like MediaTracker).