From Andres Toussaint <and...@onemileup.com>
Subject Re: Usage of Batik in SWT apps
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:16:03 GMT
Hi John:

I am using Batik on a Eclipse RCP Application, without Holongate
plugins. It works perfectly for  displaying static SVG´s. I am using
Eclipse RCP 3.1 with the org.eclipse.swt.awt.SWT_AWT bridge class to
create a awt.Frame, to which i attach my JSVGCanvas. I do all my batik
stuff without modifying anything from the framework, and treating it as
a typical Swing app, and leverage all the benefits that the
RCP-SWT-JFace are giving me for all the non SVG parts of my app. It may
be a bit of a hybrid, but it works fine.

There are some minor problems, like for example the SVG document does
not resize properly when you change the size of the SWT window, so you
need to capture the SWT resize event and then reset the layout of your
AWT components.

Now, to compatibility, there is a conflict between the SWT thread and
the AWT thread in Mac OS X, so it is not possible to run SWT-AWT
applications under Mac OS X. This is an issue for any type of
application that needs to access the AWT thread from a SWT application
on a mac. I think that even with Holongate, this is still a conflict
for SWT applications, but unless the Mac is one of your target
platforms, you are on the clear.

Regards,
Andres Tousssaint