From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: static patch
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:19:13 GMT
Hi Dominik,

Steiner, Dominik wrote:

> Ok, right now I'm developing with Eclipse IDE and using their Team
> Synchronizing Plugin to connect to our CVS server...

    Andreas, misspoke you need SVN to check out Batik, not CVS.
You could also download the nightly source tree from:

	http://svn.apache.org/builds/xml-batik
	(might be down at the moment)

    There is a good list of subversion (SVN) clients available at:
	http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html
    Of particular interest would be:
	* Subclipse - A Subversion Eclipse Plugin
		      http://subclipse.tigris.org/
	* TortoiseSVN - A Subversion client, implemented as a
			windows shell extension
		        http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

> So what would be my next step? When I want to checkout from CVS
> Eclipse asks me for the host, repository path, user, password,
> connection type and a port (or using the default port). What do
> I have to insert there?

   So you should follow the directions at:
	http://xml.apache.org/batik/svn.html

> I downloaded gnu patch, but how do I install the gnu.ps file?
> (I'm running on Windows XP)

   I'm guessing gnu.ps is a postscript file with documentation
on the GNU utilities.  If you have installed gnu patch you should
just have 'patch.exe' on your path.

> I'm not sure about the next steps neither. What is the single
> command to patch the source?

   Get into the top level of the Batik distribution in a Dos window,
(same directory as the 'build.bat' file). Copy the patch file from
Bugzilla into the same directory, then type:

	patch -p0 --dry-run < static.patch

   'static.patch' is the name of the patch file on your computer.
   '-p0' let's it know that you are in the same directory as the
patch was originally made from.
   '--dry-run' says try and patch the files but don't change anything
on disk, this let's you make sure that the patch matches what you have
on your disk.

   Good output would look something like:
patching file sources/org/apache/batik/bridge/SVGSVGElementBridge.java
patching file sources/org/apache/batik/bridge/SVGGElementBridge.java
patching file sources/org/apache/batik/bridge/SVGUseElementBridge.java
[...]

> Well, it's not urgent for me getting this done and I could wait for
> the release, but I appreciate your kind help very much and if you
> have time to spare I'm ready to go... :-)

   The release might not be for a while, especially for this feature
we probably won't do a release until SVG 1.2 is finalized.