From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: static patch - partial success
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:14:31 GMT
Hi Thomas,

>>Next I tried to apply the static attribute to my more dynamic mapping
>>examples.
>>
>>Here is the URL:
>>http://www.carto.net/papers/svg/postgis_geturl_xmlhttprequest/example.svg
>>

>[...]
>

>>In that case I am not that sure if the static attribute fully works. It
>>seems to run somehow faster, but not as fast as in the first two examples.
>>

>   Yes, I have noticed this, and I am not sure why it is not as big
>a difference.  I suspect that the Java2D renderer is dropping into
>a lower performance drawing case, when I get the change I may play
>with it more.  I would check things like clip-paths and the like.

that would be very nice, if you could do some further investigations
here. I don't use clip-paths here. I only move the content in a nested SVG.

The structure looks like the following:

<svg>
<!-- the gui, screen oriented coordinate system -->
<svg><!-- the map coordinate system, usually in meters or degrees -->
    <g batik-static="true" transform="translate(x,y)"> <!-- the static
attribute set by script, translate attribute set while dragging -->
       <!-- map content, mostly path, but also text and sometimes
use-elements -->
    </g>
</svg>
</svg>

I don't know if the problem is because of the nested SVG? But in the
mapWaadt.svg and mapSpain.svg example we also move the content within a
viewBox (not nested, but clipped to the viewBox area).

Please let me know if there is anything more to test or to change in my
code.

Thanks a lot,

Andreas

Andreas Neumann - Institute of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/