From Andres Toussaint <and...@onemileup.com>
Subject Re: Usage of Batik in SWT apps
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:29:19 GMT

> How do you define 'static'?  No animations?  Or no interpretations
> such as rotation, zoom and et cetera?

Static means that my document is not Dynamic (i.e. it is simply for
visualization, and takes no benefit from interaction and or animation,
nor event dispatching from the SVG).

> This will likely be an issue, so thanks for the heads up.

I guess that this kind of issues are the ones the folks at holongate
try to fix.

> I planned on coding this purely in SWT, not using any AWT if I can
> help it.  And yes, the Mac is one of the target platforms.  Its a
> game, and we all know the Mac could stand to have a few more games
> around.

You can program everything in SWT, DOM and Java2D (for
affineTransforms, etc.) There is no need to go to AWT for all your
other application widgets.

If what you want to leverage out of Eclipse is the RCP framework, i may
suggest (with no intention to start a dispute) you may take a look at
the netbeans RCP. With the new NeatBeans 5.0 they have gone a long way
to make it easier and more accessible to build RCP applications. You no
longer have to fight the cluster_harness nightmare, now it is fully
integrated with the IDE, you you can focus in developing, instead of
deploying.

If SVG is fundamental for your application, and the Mac is an important
target, then the balance indicates to use Netbeans. In my company we
have made this shift already, since we need to be able to deploy on
Mac, and our app is SVG based.

regards,

Andres.