From Reinier Zwitserloot <rein...@zwitserloot.com>
Subject BUG: text tag doesn't render (mac osx JRE 1.5.0)
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:51:08 GMT
The new 1.5 JRE from Apple for mac osx is out, and batik cannot render
TEXT tags when using this JRE.

This problem does not occur on windows with a 1.5 JRE, and it does not
occur on the 1.4.2 JRE on mac osx either.

Th bug appears to be that the 'y' component of any text tag is equal
to the top of the image, regardless of what it's actually set to. As
such you don't see the text (it's rendered just above the top), except
some parts of the character that 'stick out' below the baseline, such
as the lower loop on a lowercase 'g'.

Here's a trivial SVG example that will not render correctly on mac osx
with JRE 1.5:
(I've replaced all greater and smaller than characters with their
equivalent parentheses so that mail agents won't try to interpret this
as HTML or SVG directly).

(svg width="300px" height="300px")
   (text x="60" y="250" fill="blue")Hello, World! ggg(/text)
(/svg)

Rendering the above SVG sample will show you 3 small arches at the
top, and a single pixel a bit to the left of the arches. I'm guessing
those are the bottom parts of the lower loops of the 3 g characters,
and the bottom part of the comma character.

Any ideas on how to fix this / where should I send this bug report to?

You won't know it by testing the samples, because for some reason all
samples use complicated paths to render their text instead of the text
tag.