From "Andre M. Winter - Carto.net" <ml.win...@carto.net>
Subject Re: getURL and UFT-8
Date Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:19:59 GMT
hi andreas and cameron,

there are 3 static files and nothing else. the problem is the same
locally and from the server.

- req5.svg (encoded UTF-8 and calling two others with getURL onclick):
- req_utf8.xml (encoded UTF-8)
- req_ascii.xml (encoded ASCII or basically no encoding at all)

content of both xml files is:
<tspan xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"> éäö<tspan
fill="red">ß</tspan> </tspan>

in Squiggle loading the
ASCII renders "éäöß"
UTF-8 renders "éäöß".

in firefox and ASV3 it is the contrary, and that is the expected result
(as you say)

ASCII renders placeholders
UTF-8 renders "éäöß"

this causes problem when laoding text data...

give it a try,
andré

ps: the links to the both files in the original mail had a wrong
extension, here the right ones:
<http://svg.carto.net/temp/req_utf8.xml>
<http://svg.carto.net/temp/req_ascii.xml>

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
> in Batik, if the original SVG file that you load has a certain
> encoding, all other linked files (scripts, css, document fragments
> that are loaded, etc.) need to have the same encoding.
>
> I think this is a valid behaviour and makes sense.
>
> So, in your case, if req5.svg is utf8, then the fragment to be loaded
> needs to be utf8 as well - makes sense, doesn't it?
>
> Andreas
>
> Andre M. Winter - Carto.net wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> i am testing getURL/XMLHttpRequest in Squiggle, Firefox and ASV and i
>> run into a problem with UTF-8-encoded files
>>
>> in Firefox and AS anything works fine if all involved files are UFT-8
>> (the loading and the loaded one). this is the expected way i guess.
>> Batik Squiggle does it the other way round, it doesn't display UFT-8
>> data right in UFT-8 files whereas ASCII data loaded in UFT-8 is okay.
>>
>> i have set up a test file at <http://svg.carto.net/temp/req5.svg> the
>> called files have the same content but different encodings:
>> <http://svg.carto.net/temp/req_utf8.svg> and
>> <http://svg.carto.net/temp/req_ascii.svg>.
>>
>> is there a way to make Batik Squiggle react as the other two ones?
>>
>> thanks
>> andré

andre m. winter,
  cartography for internet and multimedia applications
  schiessstand 4/1, a6091 goetzens, tyrol, austria
  tel.: ++43.5234.32732
  email: <winter@carto.net>

<http://www.vectoreal.com/>          SVG consulting and development
<http://www.carto.net/>          online cartography focusing on SVG