From Andreas Neumann <neum...@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Subject Re: problem with error message nr 1, Content is not allowed in prolog
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:37:14 GMT
yes, indeed that fixed the problem. Thank you very much!!!

I moved the CSS definitions from the internal file (index.svg) to an
external css file and forgot to update the link. And I did not notice a
font-rendering problem, since the same font is already installed within
the system, so it seems like Batik would take the Cisalpin font from the
system.

thomas.deweese@kodak.com wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
>    The problem is your @font-face definition in the styles.css file:
>
> @font-face  {
>                  font-family:'Cisalpin LT Std';
>                  font-weight:normal;
>                  src:url('#CisalpinLTStd-Regular') format(svg)
> }
>
>    The src specification says to get the font from the element '
> CisalpinLTStd-Regular' in
> the _CSS_ file (url resolution in style sheets is relative to the CSS
> document not the document
> that referenced the CSS style sheet) as a result Batik tries to parse your
> CSS style sheet as XML
> so it can find the requested element and this fails fairly badly ;)
>
>    In this case you can either leave the src off completely, or it needs
> to refer to 'index.svg#...'
> or you could move the font into 'cisalpinLTStd.svg' and refer to it there.
>  While Batik should
> support all of these, I am unsure of what Adobe will support...

ASV3 supports only internal svg font-definitions, but the change to

@font-face  {
                  font-family:'Cisalpin LT Std';
                  font-weight:normal;
                 src:url('index.svg#CisalpinLTStd-Regular') format(svg)
}

in the external CSS works in ASV3 as well.

ASV6 should also support SVG fonts in other svg files, but who knows if
ASV6 will ever be deployed ;-( ...

Thanks again for your quick and competent help!

Andreas

Andreas Neumann - Institute of Cartography
ETH Hoenggerberg
CH-8093  Zurich, Switzerland
Phone: ++41-1-633 3031, Fax: ++41-1-633 1153
e-mail: neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch
www: http://www.carto.net/neumann/
SVG.Open: http://www.svgopen.org/
Carto.net: http://www.carto.net/