From Immo Köster <Immo.Koes...@post.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject Re: Rendering a fragment in JSVGCanvas
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:04:15 GMT
Hi Thomas,

thanks a lot for your quick and helpful response.

>    This syntax as a 'document' URL is roughly equivalent to the same
> thing with an HTML document.  The whole document is rendered but the
> viewer pans to the 'selected' element.

Okay, this semantic makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, it does not help
me with my problem ;-)

>    If you want this behavior the simplest way to achieve it
> would be to create a 'skeleton' SVG that includes one
> rendered element a 'use' with the above URI as the 'use'
> element extracts the given fragment for rendering.

Sorry, I was not aware of this option but once again, this is not what I
need - it would mean that I have to create a lot of 'skeleton' SVGs.
Perhaps I should give some more details:

My application gets an SVG file (with a fixed structure) as input,
consisting of multiple svg elements. Now I want to "decompose" this
monolithic input and distribute it to different JSVGCanvas objects, i.e.
the document is not displayed as a whole but certain fragments of it are
(exclusively) rendered on specific canvases.

I thought I could simply use the setFragmentIdentifier() method to
select/restrict the data to be displayed. Now I guess I have to manually
"split" the singular SVG input (using DOM) into several trees and pass
each tree to a different JSVGCanvas object (calling set[SVG]Document()),
right?
Or is there another way to directly tell JSVGCanvas which part/fragment
of an svg document to display?

Thanks again,

Immo Köster