From "John C. Turnbull" <ozem...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject RE: FW: Strange applet delay revisited
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:18:10 GMT
Hi Thomas,

I suspect that existing scripts may be broken by this change and that is
probably unacceptable but I am happy to make the change locally as my
scripts are still under development.

With the other alternative of importing the classes individually, do you
know exactly which classes will need to be imported?  I would like to try
out the performance of implementing this option.

Thanks,

John

From: thomas.deweese@kodak.com [mailto:thomas.deweese@kodak.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 January 2009 22:37
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Cc: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: RE: FW: Strange applet delay revisited

Hi John,

"John C. Turnbull" <ozemale@ozemail.com.au> wrote on 01/18/2009 10:01:10 PM:

> I have applied your patch to my local Batik and it has resolved the delays
> with applet scripting so thanks for that.  And, I see no negative effect
on
> my Batik applications either so I would vote to have it included in the
SVN
> source unless there are problems I just haven't encountered yet.  I don't
> mind manually importing any required Java classes/packages in my scripts
and
> if this is the only drawback then I think you have a winner.

   I think there will be issues since the interfaces from the DOM packages
won't be available in the global ECMAScript namespace.  This is obviously
not as important in ECMAScript as other languages (where you need to
cast etc).  But I suspect that some valid ECMAScript code will fail without
the imports.  Before this goes into SVN someone needs to carefully analyze
the actual ECMAScript implications.  The other alternative as Cameron
suggested would be to replace the package imports with the needed individual

class imports.