From Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CleanerThread never terminates, causes leaks in webapp
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:14:28 GMT
Hi Joel,

> We are using Batik in a webapp context and the thread
> org.apache.batik.util.CleanerThread never terminates. This is a serious
> problem as it prevents the webapp's classloader from being garbage
> collected. Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a way to "clean up" and
> stop this thread when my webapp exits?

Well, it's hard to guess is something is being done wrong having
provided such little information... ;-)

I'm assuming you are embedding an JSVGCanvas such as demonstrated in
the demo [1] page...? (Source code quickly available there.)

If you can steadily reproduce this, I'd ask you to provide a code
snippet of your application and/or the SVG file(s) which are making
this happen. :-)

Finally, if you are using this within a webapp (I'm assuming a
client-side application, but this somehow applies to server-side as
well), I'm not sure if you'd even want to terminate the environment
many times: that can become a heavy burden. I'd suggest looking into
the possibility of (for example) hiding the canvas whenever not needed
and display it again only with the needed tweaks/newly created
document (somehow a.k.a. object pooling).

> Many thanks

Hope this helps,
 Helder

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/demo.html