From simon <si...@333.ch>
Subject Re: problem with batik transcoder on a headless system
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:05:05 GMT
hi all

i tried to reduce the size of the svg by removing the embedded image,
did a test with the rasterizer and exception has gone.
then i tried my yanel resource type which is using the batik transcoder
and for the first request i get a nice bitmap.
but for the second request i get an other exception.

Caused by: org.apache.batik.transcoder.TranscoderException: null
Enclosed Exception:
null
    at
org.apache.batik.transcoder.image.ImageTranscoder.transcode(ImageTranscoder.java:132)
    at
org.apache.batik.transcoder.XMLAbstractTranscoder.transcode(XMLAbstractTranscoder.java:142)
    at
org.apache.batik.transcoder.SVGAbstractTranscoder.transcode(SVGAbstractTranscoder.java:156)
    at
com.litwan.yanel.impl.resources.svg.SVGResource.renderCustomView(SVGResource.java:125)

so i will attach the svg file with the embedded image since this causes
an exception with the rasterizer on my headless debian server.

now everything feels really weird to me.

sorry for having such a hard case :-(

(jonathan)
[...]
> As a long shot, since your headless are Linux,  try passing
>
> -Dawt.toolkit=sun.awt.motif.MToolkit
>
> when transcoding.  See
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/awt/1.5/xawt.html for
> insight into why this may help.
i don't really understand after reading this sentence:
"The new Toolkit (XToolkit) is the default on Linux in J2SE 5.0. Solaris
will continue to use the MToolkit (Motif-based Toolkit) as the default
in J2SE 5.0, but eventually will be replaced with XToolkit."

it seems to me XToolkit should be the choice.

and i did not find any hint on why MToolkit may help. but i will try it
out later.

thanks very much for your help so far.

simon