Hi Jeremias,

thanks very much for pointing out. The samples in the SVN work indeed. The important difference is that I did not set the visibility of the <rect> to "hidden". I tried the fill attribute and that just made the box disappear with no text whatsoever. I think this is a pretty important detail that should appear in the documentation. Maybe you know the right spot to put it.

Thank you really much for helping me out so quickly.

regards,
Benjamin

2011/2/2 Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Hi Benjamin

On 02.02.2011 17:39:35 Benjamin Diedrichsen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is a follow up on thread
> http://www.mail-archive.com/batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org/msg09176.html.
> I did not get the reply to the post so, I could not answer directly to it.

Sorry, forgot to put you in CC. I had to moderate your message through
so I actually knew you wouldn't get the message directly.

> Two questions regarding this: 1. Can I subscribe only to the threads I
> started?

Nope. You could post through http://batik.2283329.n4.nabble.com/Batik-Users-f2970783.html
That gives you a forum-like interface to the mailing list.

>2. What is a digest supscription? Could not find any clear info on
> that

With this, you don't get every single e-mail posted to the mailing list.
They are collected and sent as bulk.

> Well, to the topic: I put the <flowPara> element in a <flowDiv> element but
> the results remain the same. I read something about a proprietary
> implementation of text flowing in batik. Would that be a choice? I am
> currently a little confused by the state of the SVG 1.2 specs. The threads I
> find that regard problems with text flowing using flowRegions, flowRoot and
> so forth are a little outdated (2005,2006) so I think they don't reflect the
> currrent implementation status. But still, the draft from 2005 stays draft.
> Also the SVG 1.2. support in the common browser seems to vary and especially
> firefox has problems with the flowRegions. Can anybody comment on the status
> quo of this whole SVG 1.2 adventure or point me to some good resources? And
> I would really appreciate a little and working sample of an svg that
> contains flowRoot and such elements and actually transforms correctly with
> the current batik development trunk.

Yeah, the whole flow text stuff is stuck since 2004. Take a look at the
examples under samples\tests\spec12\text. These are working for me.

BTW, if you're generating PDF and get problems, it may be worthwhile to
check out Apache FOP Trunk: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk
(or download Apache FOP 1.0: http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html

You can then try converting your SVG to PDF using FOP's command-line:
fop -imagein my.svg -pdf my.pdf

There have been some improvements to the PDF output since the
pdf-transformer.jar has been created. And that might help. Worth a try
anyway.

> So long and sorry for cross-posting to both lists, won't happen again
>
> Regards,
> Benni

Jeremias Maerki