From John-Val Rose <j...@rosethorn.technology>
Subject RE: Performance and rendering quality degradation between Batik Squiggle 1.9 and 1.11
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2019 21:45:23 GMT
Hi Kirill, that’s exactly what I was thinking, especially given that this is a hi-res 4K
monitor.

I had Windows display settings to scale 150% but when I put it to 100% I found that the issues
went away (albeit that it’s almost impossible to read icon text etc.).

So, is there anything that can be done about this at the Java level or the Batik level?  Maybe
some command line arguments to handle the hi-DPI scaling?

Graciously,

John-Val

________________________________
From: Kirill Grouchnikov <kirill.grouchnikov@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2019 7:39:16 AM
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org <batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Performance and rendering quality degradation between Batik Squiggle 1.9 and
1.11

Maybe it the high-DPI support added to Java in one of the newer releases, and some kind of
legacy fallback for apps that don't opt into something?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 4:02 PM John-Val Rose <john@rosethorn.technology> wrote:
OK, after a bit more digging, I stand corrected.

There doesn’t appear to be any of the aforementioned degradations in Batik itself; the issue
is with which version of Java you run Squiggle with.

I have found that all Java versions after JDK 8 show this slower scaling and poorer rendering
quality.  Even just the splash screen is very noticeably more pixelated and SVGs themselves
are more grainy.

I’ve attached some screenshots of both the splash screen and the tiger SVG using Java 8
versus Java 10.

Does anyone know why this is the way it is?

Graciously,

John-Val