From John-Val Rose <j...@rosethorn.technology>
Subject RE: Performance and rendering quality degradation between Batik Squiggle 1.9 and 1.11
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2019 20:02:25 GMT
OK, after a bit more digging, I stand corrected.

There doesn’t appear to be any of the aforementioned degradations in Batik itself; the issue
is with which version of Java you run Squiggle with.

I have found that all Java versions after JDK 8 show this slower scaling and poorer rendering
quality.  Even just the splash screen is very noticeably more pixelated and SVGs themselves
are more grainy.

I’ve attached some screenshots of both the splash screen and the tiger SVG using Java 8
versus Java 10.

Does anyone know why this is the way it is?

Graciously,

John-Val

From: Helder Magalhães<mailto:helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, 17 August 2019 21:36
To: batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org<mailto:batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Performance and rendering quality degradation between Batik Squiggle 1.9 and
1.11

Hi John,

Could you elaborate a bit on the comparison?
1. Is it between the same Operating System? And same OS version? Please state which one/ones
are they.
2. Is it between the same JRE/JDK (Oracle/OpenJDK/etc.)? And same versions? Please state which
one/ones are they.

Also, given it's a quality difference, one or two pairs of screenshots between same content
in the two environments would quite improve the explanation.

Regards,
Helder Magalhães