From Jeremias Maerki <jeremias.mae...@outline.ch>
Subject Re: Lock generated PDF
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 14:02:13 GMT
> At 8:08 am +0100 6/2/02, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >Last september it has been decided to drop JDK 1.1 support mostly out of
> >performance reasons. Almost every reasonable platform has a Java 2
> >implementation available today and there are not many projects left at
> >Apache Foundation that still support JDK 1.1.
>
> My 'platform' is a slot loading iMac.

I guessed right then. :-) You could install MacOSX which has a decent
JDK 1.3.1.

> It should be a general goal of Open Source projects to be backwards
> compatible. My understanding is that it should be possible to
> use a tool like ant to extract a Java 1.1 subset.

Should it? To a certain extent, yes. But I think it would be best if
Steve Jobs held his promise to fully support the Java2 platform even on
his older systems.

Have a look at the following link. JDK 1.1 is marked as End-Of-Life.
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/download-jdk-windows.html

> I would like my product to support Mac and Windows systems from
> 1998 on, on the basis/functional specification that my product
> (of which FOP is only a part) should be installable and usable
> on all Macs of the same age or newer than mine, and Windows with
> a suitable version of Java installed. It is also my understanding
> that the latest version of Blackdown java is 1.1.8, exempli gratia

Blackdown has several Java 2 ports. Sun provides a JDK 1.3.1 for Windows,
Linux and Solaris. IBM for Windows, Linux, AIX and OS/390 etc. MacOS 9
and earlier are some of the last OS that remain pre-Java2.

Other Java ports can be found here:
http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/java-ports.cgi

> Of course I am not sure that ant runs on the classic MacOS, so
> I am dependant on my finding myself a linux machine to generate
> the sources. I will do this, I just don't have the technology at
> present. There again I am not certain that ant doesn't, as it is
> possible that one of the many projects called JShell, I think this
> one <URL: http://homepage.mac.com/pcbeard/JShell/ >, will run ant.

I've found a notice in the ant documentation:
"For the current version of Ant, you will also need a JDK installed on
your system, version 1.1 or later. A future version of Ant will require
JDK 1.2 or later."

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 41 317 20 20 - Fax +41 41 317 20 29
Internet http://www.outline.ch