From Jeremias Maerki <jeremias.mae...@outline.ch>
Subject Re: Using FOP in an applet ?
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 15:21:16 GMT
> Would it be a *solution* to embed FOP in an applet and use it on the client
> to print PDF ?

Maybe. I didn't try it but I don't see a reason that it shouldn't work
as long as you ensure that a Sun Java PlugIn is installed (Microsoft VM?
I don't think so.) and the application is running in an intranet. I
mention the latter because the loading times for FOP over the internet
will be a killer:
fop.jar: 1.8MB
batik.jar: 2.2MB
jimi-1.0.jar: 445MB
etc.

It's probably better if you provide a server-based solution for creating
your documents. On the other side, you always have to transfer the
documents, too. And they may be big...

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 41 317 20 20 - Fax +41 41 317 20 29
Internet http://www.outline.ch