From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: CMKY
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:13:13 GMT
Beer, Christian wrote:
> As I am very interested in XSL:FO,PDF and CMYK I am a bit
> sad, that it is not supported by the spec.

I think CMYK support in tools used early in the publishing chain
is somewhat overrated.
I can only think of the following use cases for XSLFO:
- Avoid round-off errors and other numerical problems in the
  conversion CMYK->sRGB->CMYK, perhaps in order to match exactly
  colors of embedded CMYK bitmap images in text, borders and
  background.
- Get color values into the document which can't be expressed
  as RGB. I don't know whether this can even happen.

As far as round-off goes, AFAIK the transformation from CMYK to
RGB and vice versa is linear and numerically well behaved with
the exception of some extreme saturated colors, in particular
very dark colors. I've never heard of anyone noticing these
kind of problem without deliberately using a somewhat braindamaged
tool for colorspace conversion which rounded all values to two
significant digits *and* both a quite expensive printing kit and
a well trained eye.

J.Pietschmann