From "Chris Bowditch" <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Select Printer with Print-Renderer
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:26:45 GMT
>From: "Benjamin Wischek" <benjamin.wischek@epost.de>
>
>Hi !
>
>Thank you for the reply.
>
>But this does not really help me. I am looking for a solution where I can
>choose one of several installed printers (on a windows-system; by its name
>perhaps, not via dialog) from within my java program and then send the
>generated
>pdf (or ps as alternative) to the printer. Seems like the jdk itself does
>not have some solution like that...

JDK 1.4 does provide classes for interogating the O/S for a list of
installed printers. So you may be able to write some classes that do what
you want. Its a bit fiddly though.

FOP doesnt make use of the Java Print API because it needs to work on JDK
1.3, which I'm glad about because upgrading for my company would be a
nightmare.

Chris