From Braumüller, Hans <H.Braumuel...@hanseorga.de>
Subject RE: how to run XMLServlet example from apache tools example wrox book
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:43:30 GMT
Hello,

i rely on the browser, because i am engage in web development, and besides the url-pattern

in web.xml <snip value="code" src="web.xml">
<servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>XMLServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/ch03/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
</snip>

the request send from the browser, nothing is happened, besides of Diretory Listing for the
two files of xml and xslt on  ch03, which the servlet is supposed to transform to pdf via
xsl-fo.

The doctype of web.xml is the same i am using in tomcat 4.29, so i suppose it´s shall be
function.

But the <snip value="code" src="web.xml">
 <filter>
    <filter-name>XSLT Filter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>com.sauria.apachexml.ch3.XSLTFOPServletFilter</filter-class>
  </filter>

  <filter>
    <filter-name>FOP Filter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>com.sauria.apachexml.ch3.FOPServletFilter</filter-class>
  </filter>

  <!-- Define filter mappings for the defined filters -->
  <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>FOP Filter</filter-name>
    <servlet-name>XMLServlet</servlet-name>
  </filter-mapping>

  <filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>XSLT Filter</filter-name>
    <servlet-name>XMLServlet</servlet-name>
  </filter-mapping>
</snip>
i have never worked with filter and filter-mapping before, so maybe here lays the problem
?

Thanks,

Hans Braumüller
http://kunstserie.com

Braumüller wrote:
> i buy the book "Professional XML Development with Apache Tools" from wrox
> compiled the fop example in chapter 3 and don´t get it run in my Tomcat.

What does "don't get it run" mean in detail? Do you have a command
line tool to access URLs or do you exclusively rely on a browser?
Do the version for Tomcat and other tools you are using match the
versions used in the book? Where are the FOP log messages?

J.Pietschmann