From Braumüller, Hans <H.Braumuel...@hanseorga.de>
Subject RE: xml > xhtml > xsl-fo > pdf
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:30:41 GMT
Hello,

thanks,

yes, i was thinking the same after made some tests by command-line.
At the end i will need the pdf only for Reporting, and i can send the xml for these requests
of reports as i want.

So, maybe exists there in the www sample xml-source for marking up report-structures, like
page- header,page-footer, group-change, table-header- table-footer, page-change, title of
reports, etc. ?

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Hans Braumüller

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: J.Pietschmann [mailto:j3322ptm@yahoo.de]
Gesendet: Freitag, 10. September 2004 23:24
An: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Betreff: Re: xml > xhtml > xsl-fo > pdf

Braumüller wrote:
> is in the wwww out there, some example how to chain via a
> java-servlet a transformation via xslt from xml to xhtml and from
> xhtml apply another xslt to transform to xsl-fo (for this step exists
> ready to use stylesheets)and then generate pdf ?

You will get better results if you transform your source
XML directly into XSLFO. I know it is tempting to use the
XML->XHTML->XSLFO approach, because this apparently means
there's only one transformation to maintain, but XHTML
and publishing grade PDF are dissimilar enough that an
"generic" XHTML->XSLFO(PDF) usually wont cut it, because
the XHTML already lacks information from the original XML.
It may be worthwhile to go from the source XML to an
intermediate custom XML which on one hand is close enough
to representation to allow simple transformation to either
XHTML or XSLFO for most of the structure, but on the other
hand retains enough semantic from the original XML that
elements which must be handled differently in the two
representations can be handled differently. Setting this
up requires experience and most likely extensive prototyping.

J.Pietschmann