From Chris Faulkner <chris.faulk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: overlay images
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 11:20:53 GMT
Hi

Thanks for feedback. It wasn't so much the hit on performance of
having the extra JAR involved, I understand the issues involved, it is
the necessity of running batik essentially to do no more than overlay
imagery.

One of my basic images that I need to overlay is generated by calls to
the Java Advanced Imaging (JAI) API, via http to a servlet container
so I am also exploring the option of overlaying images with this
route, i.e. I'll do it all in one call for a single image. This will
almost certainly be faster but does not give me the option to expand
in the future with the option of adding SVG based graphics if I needed
to.

Anyway, I am testing the relative performance of both approaches now.

I had initially thought that there might be an easy third option which
would be to put references to both images in the  .fo, and let FOP
overlay them.

Chris