From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: FOP-produced PDF print job size
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 08:15:00 GMT
Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

> Wonder if anyone has seen similar size problems.
>
> I have a .fo document that runs fine through fop. It produces an 8 page
> document from data in a database. It is most numbers, sort of
> spreadsheet-like - about 35 rows with 19 columns, plus a header and
> footer. Most cells have either 1 .5pt dotted borders or a 1pt solid
> border.
>
> The PDF file is not that large, about 345kB. However when I print it to
> a HP Laserjet 2100 (using the PCL6 driver) it blows up to 27MB in size
> and takes forever to print (about 1 page every two minutes).

Well the reason the PCL is so much bigger than equivalent PDF or Postscript
output is because the PCL Renderer is incomplete, whilst the PDF and PDF
Renderers are more mature. See here for a list of some of the limitations:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/output.html#pcl

I recommend you generate Postscript and then use Ghostscript to print the
postscript file on your PCL Laserjets.

Chris