From "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject RE: Getting Screen Output while Processing?
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 01:04:53 GMT

Hi Jay,

> If I gather correctly, the fellow with the problem is looking for
> a way to customize the output of the [INFO] tags or
> (more precisely, I think) generate his own [INFO] tags.

Well, the [INFO] messages come from the default ConsoleLogger in Avalon's
logging framework that is used in FOP 0.20.5.

A formatting object with effects similar to xsl:message is definitely not
defined in the 1.0 Rec, but in theory, it seems possible to create a custom
FO extension that does no more than send a message to whatever Logger you're
using.
So that one would be able to go:

<fox:message level="info">Custom message text</fox:message>

But then, I'm wondering, *when* would you make this message appear? As soon
as it is encountered? Even if he placed such an element immediately after a
table, that would only assure that the message appears on the Logger at the
time the fo:table is fully read in. This would in no way mean that the table
is completely processed, which seems to be what he's after...

It might work if the extension results in a marker in the area tree for the
renderer to pick up, so that the messages would pop up only after a table
has been fully rendered.

If he doesn't mind the trouble, have him take a look at how bookmarks are
implemented as an extension (in 0.20.5). It should turn out to be a bit
simpler, because there is no need to bother with the really
renderer-specific code. All the renderer needs to do, is send a log message.

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas