From "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject RE: Having trouble getting number-columns-spanned to work
Date Sun, 08 May 2005 21:55:53 GMT

Hi Richard,

> Thank you! That worked great. Just one more question. Are there any
> recommendations on how to minimize resource use. I know at one point in
> the earlier API, it was recommended to create the Driver once and do a
> driver.reset() each request.

Hmm... Yes, but if I got it correctly, that seemed no concern in your code,
as the Driver was being created in your doGet() anyway. (In a way, that
reset() there does no more than reset the Driver before throwing it away...)

Anyway, I'm not sure why that functionality was removed. Maybe someone else
can fill you in here?

> I notice that the transformer object has a "reset()" method.
> Would it save much to create the transformer in my
> servlet's "init" method and just do a transformer.reset()
> at the top of the doGet for each file I process?

Much? Well, you seem to be creating only identity Transformers... I'm not
sure, but it may have rather tricky consequences if multiple calls to
doGet() make use of --and possibly reset-- the very same Transformer
instance... (if running multithreaded, this probably won't work without
synchronization)

Greetz,

Andreas