From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: Help with table-of-contents:don't understand ref-id attribute
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:20:37 GMT
On Mar 3, 2006, at 18:15, cknell@onebox.com wrote:

Hi Charles / Jay,

> The quote below is from the fo:page-number-citation section of the
> recommendation. I find the construction "id trait" puzzling. It
> seems that the authors have gone out of their way to avoid the term
> "attribute",

Hmm... right, but that's mostly because areas do not have
"attributes", only the FOs that generate areas or their descendant
nodes in the FO tree have attributes. Areas have traits that
correspond to (or are the result of interpreting) these attributes.

> ... so I infer that the value of the ref-id attribute does not,
> itself, have to point to an attribute, but instead could point to a
> child element of the object of interest, so long as it is unique.
>
> "The cited page-number is the number of the page containing, as a
> descendant, the first normal area returned by the formatting object
> with an id trait matching the ref-id trait of the fo:page-number-
> citation (the referenced formatting object)."

See the definition of the 'ref-id' property itself (7.28.5):

"Values have the following meanings:
   <idref>
   The "id" of an object in the formatting object tree."

Another one of those notorious ambiguities? I'd assume the Rec is
referring to the id attribute here, but as a FO property (see 7.28.2
"id"). Nearly every FO has an id, either explicitly specified or
generated as an initial value for the id property. As such, every
area in the resulting area tree is guaranteed to have an "id trait".

> This is the template in question:
>
>   <xsl:template match="file" mode="toc">
>     <fo:block text-align-last="justify">
>       <fo:in-line>
>         <value-of select="name" />
>         <fo:leader leader-pattern="dots" />
>         <fo:page-number-citation ref-id="{name}" />
>       </fo:in-line>
>     </fo:block>
>   </xsl:template>

Not sure if I get this right, but to get the whole picture, I think
we also need to see where exactly you are creating the nodes that are
identified by that 'name', no?

It seems more like an issue of that node not being found. If the
property is interpreted along the lines of the definition in 7.28.5,
then the error is most likely caused by there not being a node with
id="{name}" elsewhere in the document...

Cheers,

Andreas