From ckn...@onebox.com
Subject Help with table-of-contents:don't understand ref-id attribute
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:16:29 GMT
I'm having a problem with producing a table of contents. This is my first attempt. As part
of the template to produce a line in the table of contents, I have this element:

<fo:page-number-citation ref-id="{name}" />

The quote below is from the fo:page-number-citation section of the recommendation. I find
the construction "id trait" puzzling. It seems that the authors have gone out of their way
to avoid the term "attribute", so I infer that the value of the ref-id attribute does not,
itself, have to point to an attribute, but instead could point to a child element of the object
of interest, so long as it is unique.

"The cited page-number is the number of the page containing, as a descendant, the first normal
area returned by the formatting object with an id trait matching the ref-id trait of the fo:page-number-citation
(the referenced formatting object)."

However I certainly have something wrong. When I attempt to process the XSL-FO document with
fop 0.20.5, I get this error message:

"[ERROR] null".

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? Thanks.
--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email