From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: <fo:inline hyphenate="false"> problem
Date Wed, 03 May 2006 19:17:08 GMT
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 01:24:16PM -0700, kralik wrote:

> Oops, strange specification :-(
> It's hard for users, whose mother tongue is other than english.
> Hyphenation of czech language is OK, but when I need to write some english
> words in a longer paragraph, I can't change hyphenation pattern :-(

There are always words that are badly hyphenated by a hyphenation
algorithm. The hyphenation tables contain a list of exceptions, that
is, a list of words of which the explicit hyphenation is given because
the algorithm would result in an undesirable hyphenation. For example,
from the file en.xml:

<exceptions>
as-so-ciate
as-so-ciates
</exceptions>

In TeX you can additionally specify your own exceptions, so you could
say \hyphenation{FreeBSD} and it would not be hyphenated, or
\hyphenation{Free-BSD}, and it would only be hyphenated in that
way. In FOP that is not possible. It would be nice if it would be made
possible. There is no room for such hyphenation exceptions in an FO
file. Maybe they can be listed in a configuration file.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu